Sunday 4 March 2018

Making Chains

Every so often, I get the urge to be a bit more creative. To be honest, it's been quite a while since this was last the case. Even taking photos was just too much effort in 2017. I'm working on the photography side this year, but still find it difficult to just go out and take pictures like I once did - age I guess!

So, for the dark days of winter, I've tried to find something that I can do in the warm indoors. To this end, I thought I'd play around with some chain-mail (or chain-maille if we're being posh and /or American) jewellery. It's really simple to get started, just join a few metal rings together and there you go.

Clearly, it isn't as simple as that in practice, as everything is small and fiddly and there are dozens - if not hundreds - of patterns to experiment with. Here are some of my tests so far - nothing serious or very good yet, but I'm getting there. I hope to make some in sterling silver once I get a bit more practice under my belt.